Saturday, July 23, 2022

Beaverhead 55K 2022: Race Report!

 Greetings, fair readers!  On July 9th I completed my 57th ultramarathon, the Beaverhead 55K, in the rough vicinity of Salmon, Idaho.  The race itself starts at Lemhi Pass on the Montana-Idaho border, and runs along the Continental Divide until it finally drops off into Idaho and finishes in cow pasture near Salmon.  It's a spectacular race, and the hardest course I have ever run.  This was my third time there.  I was on track to PR the course but a lightning storm delayed me a bit.  Still, I was roughly an hour faster than last year.  Many thanks to RD Dave Tarkalson and all the many crew and other volunteers who make this great event possible.  I'm already prepping for next year!


Photos (click on each for expanded view):



Me, Christina T., and Steve B. at start. I was supposed to run with them, but both had problems that slowed them and I was really on track, finished almost two hours ahead. Steve and I ran the second half together last year. This year was his fifth finish.


Burn area.


Another burn area.


Leslie and Ashlee from Salmon. I ran with them quite a bit over toughest parts of the course.


Course at 10,000' (3030 meters).


Me, Leslie, and Ashlee crossing cornice. We had just seen lightning both ahead and to west of us.


Apparently I am enjoying this.


More of the course. The steep side is Montana.


Last mile. Just because you're off the mountain doesn't mean there are no more obstacles.


Post-race! Christine and Steve, plus Steve's daughter Meredith, there as support.


Post-race breakfast. I camp in the back of my truck at the finish. This is the perfect start to the morning.


Sunrise over the divide.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?