Friday, July 12, 2019

A short story... for Ilhan

A short short, in fact.  It's been quite a while since I've written any fiction, and I've never posted fiction on Unforeseen Contingencies before.  ("Our" imagined readers collectively gasp "what?  this isn't all fiction?")  But Victory Girl Darlene Click does a weekly "Friday Fiction: 100 Word Challenge," and this week's prompt is an intriguing quotation from Cato the Elder:

“After I’m dead I’d rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.”

My entry.  I dedicate it to Rep. Ilhan Omar and BDS:

There'd be no monuments, he knew. He had failed. Yes, he had come close, so many had fallen in behind him. And there were successes.  But in the end, he'd not purged the scourge. They remained. He'd failed and would be hated. No monuments.

But neither would he be forgotten. He knew that others, in the future, would understand, and resume his struggle.  No monuments, but he would be remembered.  They would follow.

He could hear Zhukov's men outside. He moved next to Eva's body and raised the barrel to his lips...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?